Tuesday, December 17, 2013

The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug


Coming into this movie, you can ask Wilson about it. I was really being an ass to him. Asking him about the best cinema, best seats, best everything. Everything must be in order to watch this film. I was so particular about it. I was joking with him actually knowing that I'm fine with anything as long as its comfortable. The one thing that bothers me little is the 24fps or 48fps. I was just deciding which one should I go for. Well the answer for that is 48fps because it's what Peter Jackson want us to see in. So we should go for that.

After work, I wasn't thinking about anything else but The Hobbit. I was so eager about it ever since I don't know when. I'm just excited about it. It's because you won't get this Middle Earth movies again. These would probably be the last time since it's these are the only books that they are able to buy the rights to. Who wouldn't right? I even brought the ring that I've made to the cinema to be in the mood. After work, I sent Su Ann back to her place because her mother is having check-ups and she would be late to fetch her and that day we finished our work before 7? The movie is at 9 45! Traffic jam along the way and then reach home, got myself ready, and Wilson was downstairs already. You can sense the urgency of how we really REALLY want to watch this film. It's The Hobbit, obviously.

Anyway, I was shocked. It was quite complicated how Wilson booked the tickets. It was here then later it was there. Ah, I told him I leave everything to him. He told me it was booked at the other place with 24fps one. I was quite disappointed at first but oh well, he shocked me saying that we got the 48fps one at 1 Utama which is one of the best cinemas in town. You should see me, I was hyper all the way, being myself and just talking crap with each other. Dissing people, creating our accents and just being cool with everything. It was a great time with my cousin even before starting. Sad that he had to leave for Taiwan next week. Did I mention? We had CHILLI PAN MEE for dinner! That's pure awesome dish! The best one in town in SS2! Back here, got ourselves popcorns and coke and getting ready to watch the movie.

Spoiler Alert? If there is one! (Ye Be Warned)
The movie was awesome to be in so many ways. One, it gets you into Middle Earth again. It was a nice feeling when you're able to go in again. Starting was a little shock for me. But it was alright. Not much of a complain but it wasn't strong I feel. Like you could have put it in the first movie and make the first movie even more interesting. Unexpected Journey has pacing issues and thats the main problem with the movie and you can see the improvement with Desolation of Smaug! More actions, it's more on with everything. Story lines are getting more and more complicated, you can see the characters are developing and the tense it has created to proceed to the Battle of the 5 Armies. That would be interesting to see in the third movie. 

Smaug is amazing! Voiced by Benedict Cumberbatch. Loving more and more now. After seeing him in Star Trek: Into Darkness, his voice as Smaug is so so good. The dragon is taunting, scary, smart and sleeky. I think the dragon is somewhat the best creature ever since Gollum. You have Gollum in the first movie and now you have Smaug in the second movie. What an accomplishment really. You see Bilbo being more of the burglar now than just introducing characters that have already established in the first movie. Everything is seen moving now with more urgency. I really love Gandalf, you see more of him, what he can do and just his quest to find out what happening in Dol Guldur. Radagast wasn't being silly anymore. Love the character Thorin and where the character is going now. You can see the little little things that is going to happen. Bilbo with the Ring. You can see the importance of the Ring in this movie like it plays a part to show the connection to the Lord of The Rings.

In LakeTown, that's another interesting place with characters like Bard the Bowman and the Master of LakeTown. Beorn is also in the movie and that's good. Should see him fighting that would be great! But I guess you'll see more when the Extended edition comes out. I'm not sure about reviewing. Don't really know how to review a movie though but what I can say is that this movie is so far what I've expected the Hobbit to be. Definitely better than Unexpected Journey because of the story is going, the characters and the sense of urgency! Especially Smaug kills it in this movie! Bilbo, Gandalf and the company of the dwarves are all playing their part. The scenes that I like the most are When Gandalf is in Dol Guldur, the barrels scene and scenes with the dragons, all these are really awesome!

The cliff hanger at the end, awesome! Keeps you up for the next one. I just can't wait for the next one really. Like for the Lord of The Rings, you don't really need a cliff hanger because of the weight of the story but for this the Hobbit, the cliff hangers are more emphasised really. Like for Unexpected Journey, when they show a glimpse of the dragon, it was really exciting and I can't wait for the next film and after year, time past by so fast, now i'm here watching Desolation of Smaug and I can't wait for the third and final film, There and Back Again. Well, so many things to look forward to. Just can't wait for next year.

Well, next year is going to be my graduation. I don't think i'll be back to watch with my cousin. That's the most upsetting part really. We are going to break the tradition :( But anyway, that's for next year. more things to come, more things to be missed. It's all how you deal with it I guess. After the movie is finished, I was taking long breaths and just sinking in what I've just watched. It all changed after that like I'm in that world and I couldn't get out. I was speechless and was just thinking about the movie the whole day until today! Not so much but just after that night.

Anyway, it was an amazing film. Urged everyone to go see it. Just love the feeling how you're able to go into Middle Earth again. So going to buy the extended edition and could not wait for more things to come. The trailer, the poster, the music and just DECEMBER 2014! Credits to Peter Jackson for making this come true! There and Back Again will be epic.

No comments:

Post a Comment